
To me, turning on Sesame Street is a refuge. It means at least one hour of peace and quiet while my 19 month old brother watches it. Usually the moment it is turned on Nicholas is riveted. Why though? Why would this show entertain him so greatly if he won't even sit still for anything else ever put on the TV, kid show or not?
Don't get me wrong. I'm entirely grateful of Sesame Street, and the distraction it provides, I just want to know what causes it. Mere curiosity. Is it the funny characters, the music, or the people?
The colorful images, or the feigned amusement shown by the parents when they turn it on? Or is it just that Jim Henson had an uncanny ability to see into the minds of young children and just knew what would attract them?
Or I may be way off base. It could be some secret or for no reason at all, that Nicholas in particular just enjoys it. Whatever the reason I'm immensely thankful for it everyday. Occasionally I even find myself sitting down with Nicholas to watch it, engrossed in the simple yet somehow intriguing lives of the monsters. We have at least 20 recorded episodes saved on our DVR that are put to use quite often. Nicholas likes Elmo the best, but it's cookie monster for me. :) Hopefully Sesame Street will continue to be something kids love to watch, because I think it makes both their life and their family's daily lives much easier, and (bonus) it's educational.
Don't get me wrong. I'm entirely grateful of Sesame Street, and the distraction it provides, I just want to know what causes it. Mere curiosity. Is it the funny characters, the music, or the people?
The colorful images, or the feigned amusement shown by the parents when they turn it on? Or is it just that Jim Henson had an uncanny ability to see into the minds of young children and just knew what would attract them?
Or I may be way off base. It could be some secret or for no reason at all, that Nicholas in particular just enjoys it. Whatever the reason I'm immensely thankful for it everyday. Occasionally I even find myself sitting down with Nicholas to watch it, engrossed in the simple yet somehow intriguing lives of the monsters. We have at least 20 recorded episodes saved on our DVR that are put to use quite often. Nicholas likes Elmo the best, but it's cookie monster for me. :) Hopefully Sesame Street will continue to be something kids love to watch, because I think it makes both their life and their family's daily lives much easier, and (bonus) it's educational.
1 comment:
ves sesame street. i know how you feel tho...that peace and quiet when alex is watching mickey mouse. oh its amazing! haha
~margi
Post a Comment