Jul 28, 2008

My Haven

As I sit in my black desk chair, swiveling around out of boredom, I decide to take my Mom up on her proposal that I compose a short piece based on one initial observation of my surroundings. After I contemplate for a few minutes, the scrutiny begins.

First to catch my attention are the soft purple walls looming high above me, bringing on an unexpected feeling of inadequacy. Hanging on the far left wall, my Romeo and Juliet mask stares out silently, omniscient with its vacant eyes. On the opposing wall my cherished silver cross hangs, forever reminding me why I am in this world, and to have faith in who put me here.

In contrast with the peaceful color of the walls, and the dim light emanating from the single lit lamp, the dark, gray, shadows that are cast by the inhabiting furniture generate a cozy atmosphere.

Nicholas’s laughter as Dad plays trains with him trickles down the hall and into my room, creating harmony with the steady hum of my idle Insignia Computer. Two iridescent green beanie-babies lounge on top of this computer, adding a refreshing splash of brightness to the otherwise drab corner.

Books are scattered all around the room. One of my more treasured reads, Twilight, rests in my book case, among numerous others; all of them are awaiting the next time I will open them up to escape into the story their pages have to offer.

For now, my room is a retreat superior to all others, but it will forever have its door open so I can venture out, hoping to stumble upon one that outshines the present, or lead me along a path where it will deem unnecessary to take refuge, because I will no longer desire it.

1 comment:

ch said...

Excellent writing Jenny!

No matter how old you get or where you are in life you always need a cozy little spot to call your own, your "haven".

Welcome to Not Jennifer...

A pointless place with a whole lot of reason.

The person who got this (blog) started is my mum. Without her I would have never known about this website. The reason that I keep it updated is due to her incessant queries as to why I havn't done anything with it, and my Mapa, who insists I do more with it to make it more exciting. I hope they're happy. : )